Oh isn’t it grand when you try to be friends with your ex? It’s a lofty ideal but not exactly what you want to do. There are a tenacious few who are willing to slog through valley of crap in order to get to the mountain of friendship but these people usually have kids or a business together. Most couples simply aren’t meant to be friends after they break up.
I can give you a million reasons why you shouldn’t be friends with your ex but it boils down to your history with him. Until you have some time and distance and can approach the friendship like a new relationship, you’re doomed to fail. You will continue to treat him like you have some ownership in his life and he will continue to think that he can sleep with you at any point he desires. And let’s face it, the reason we want to stay friends with our ex is to feel as though we exert some form of control over or voyeurism into their lives. You can’t move into the future if you’re holding onto the past.
You’re better off with a clean break but if you insist….
- Take a break, a long break, from the friendship.
- Ask yourself why you want to be friends with him. Make sure it’s for the right reasons.
- Approach him like a brand new person and get to know him all over again.
- Do not flirt or have sex with him. Keep it strictly platonic.
- Have full disclosure with current and future boyfriends.