The decision to have children, in- or out-of-wedlock, requires serious consideration. It’s not enough to merely want children, you have to be willing to make the sacrifices necessary to raise healthy children.
- Are you in a stable, committed relationship? Will that relationship survive the stress of raising children?
- Are your finances in order? Is your debt on a payment schedule? Have you looked at how much it costs to raise a child?
- Are you on the same page when it comes to things like parenting schedules, schooling, discipline?
- Are you ready to change everything from your social life to your work life to accommodate a demanding young life?
- Are you willing to be the “bad guy” when you’re more concerned about their long-term future than their short-term future?
- Are you having a child because you want both the joys and the sacrifices that go along with raising children?
Without a doubt, raising children is challenging. There are no half-measures and you may never feel that you’re doing a good job. Make sure you’re ready for it.