Attempting to rebuild after cheating rocks a relationship can feel like building a sandcastle, one wrong move and the whole thing comes crashing down around you. However, there are some things that you can do to increase your chances of success.
- Make sure both of you are on the same page in terms of rebuilding your relationship. Both of you must be committed to making it work.
- Counseling. A skilled counselor will bring the issues to the surface and assist in resolving them.
- Open communication is a must. Both partners must feel that they can express what they’re feeling in a safe environment.
- Forgiveness of all issues surrounding the cheating. You don’t have to forget but without forgiveness there is no moving forward.
- A fresh start because a partner who is constantly reminded of what they did wrong will soon grow to resent you.
- A support system that actually supports your relationship. If someone is not supportive of rebuilding the relationship, do not confide in them.
Putting your relationship back together is one of the hardest things you’ll ever do. You will have to make it through the difficult times to get back to an even keel. It may always be there in the back of your head. Your day-to-day reality may change. You may decide to change the rules of your relationship. Surround yourself with a supportive environment and do your homework.