Negotiations need to approached calmly and rationally. You need to keep your wits about you to ensure that you’re not giving up too much or too little. The following are some things that will sink any negotiation and should never be brought into the negotiating room.
- Anger – you can’t negotiate reasonably if you are too angry to see the other person’s point of view. Wait until you are calm.
- Ego – leave your need to be right out of any negotiation. You will be too busy attempting to win to mitigate the potential damage to your relationship.
- Guilt – you needn’t feel guilty about asking for what you want. You’re not attempting to take advantage of the other person.
- Past history – approach each negotiation fresh. Bringing up past arguments will cloud the issue at hand.
- Distractions – keep your head in the game so you don’t feel the desire to renegotiate a bad negotiation.