At some point you’re going to want Prince Charming to meet your friends and family. It is in your best interest to make their meeting as smooth as possible. Having said that, trying to control the situation will end in disaster. Your best option is preparation, preparation, preparation.
- Start small and work your way up. Maybe a dinner or drinks with a few friends. Do not throw him in the deep end with a family holiday.
- Give him the lowdown on who he is going to meet. Is your mom crazy for grandkids? Is your best friend flirty? Let him know what he’s stepping into.
- Manage but don’t control. For example, guide the conversation but don’t talk over everyone or try to explain statements made by others.
- Don’t freak out if things go pear-shaped. Everyone is an adult and they’ll figure out how to get along.
- Get feedback from your friends and family. They may see things that you don’t.
There is no guarantee that your loved ones will love your significant other. If they don’t, you may want to find out why. Are they seeing red flags that you aren’t seeing? They may be reluctant to give you their honest opinions so be prepared to elicit and listen to honest feedback. You don’t have to agree with everything they say but do think it over.